January 2013 Newsletter

The Lisbon Area Historical Society held its Annual Meeting on January 16, 2013 at The White Church. Thank you to Frank J. “Jay” Barrett, Jr., Hanover architect, historian and author for presenting his popular program, “The Chartering, Founding, and Establishment of Dartmouth College up to 1770,” which was enjoyed by all. Refreshments were served including homemade pizza courtesy of Board member Joe Nyberg and his wife Dawn. We also welcomed Skylar Boutin as a member of our Board of Trustees. He is a graduate of Lisbon Regional School, Class of 2012 and a history major at Plymouth State University. Welcome, Skylar!

NEXT MONTHLY MEETING - all are welcome to attend

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 6:30 pm at the Society’s Museum in the Parker Block. We will be discussing fundraising plans for our upcoming pictorial history in celebration of Lisbon’s 250th anniversary. We will also discuss possible programs for the coming year which will include our part in the town-wide birthday celebration throughout the year and the gala community celebration scheduled for August 10, 2013 with all day music, food, games, and more........

Annual Report for Year Ending 2012

This last year was a year of change, all for the better. After being in the basement of the Lisbon Public Library for almost half a century, our museum’s collection was moved up to the light of day in a much more accessible and visible location in available space in the Parker Block through the efforts of the Lisbon Area Historical Society’s Artifact Relocation Committee. This was a long time coming, as caring for our collection had become increasingly difficult due to the fluctuating climate in the basement of the library. The space in the library is a dedicated space built with money raised in 1964 by the Society’s founders, Dr. Harold and Hazel Ash Pickwick through the generosity of the Chandler family, which funded the building of the Lisbon Public Library in 1926. The Society will use the library space to store larger items such as the c. 1826 bird’s eye maple box piano, showcases, and signage, until a permanent home for the museum can be secured. The Society is grateful for the generosity of Peter Loescher, owner of the Parker Block, as he has worked closely with us so that we could use the present space until we find a permanent home for our collection.

Last January, the Society purchased boxes, tissue, and plastic bubble wrap and started packing up the space at the library and making purchases for the anticipated move to the Parker Block. Display cases were purchased from the Hallmark store in Littleton, which was going out of business. Hallmark sold us four display cases for the price of two, which Lauraette Clark then reimbursed us through donation. Acid free sleeves, drawers, boxes, tissue, folders, tape and poly film to encapsulate odd-sized items, and many miscellaneous cleaning and office supplies were purchased, and heavy-duty metal shelving was purchased and installed in the back room. The Society paid for new carpeting, and Roger Robar cleaned, repaired and painted the interior walls and columns. Peter Loescher’s handyman, Richard Caron, replaced ceiling tiles and installed new bathroom facilities as well as any other repairs we requested, and Peter left us a storage cabinet for our work space.

In May, Society members met to clean the space, and then the packed boxes, framed pictures, and other artifacts were brought over from the library. Folding screen dividers were purchased to cordon off our workspace, and The ARTS Gallery donated a beautiful conference table from their space. Twelve wooden chairs were purchased, the expense of which was covered by donations from Society members. A new storefront sign was painted and installed, and throughout the summer, every single item was meticulously unpacked, cleaned, labeled, cataloged, organized, and housed appropriately through the efforts of Society members. Drapes donated by Curt ‘n Rod in Landaff were tailored by Society member Anne Hudson to fit a backdrop for the storefront and door window, an OPEN flag was purchased, and Lisbon Main Street, Inc., donated flowers for a barrel in front of the museum. The move was a long, tedious job but very rewarding as we looked at the finished product, which we shared with the public at a very successful grand opening held on September 22, 2012 at which over 100 people visited the new museum. The museum was staffed through October on Fridays from 1-3pm. Our intention is to have the museum open on Friday afternoons May through October, and by chance or appointment year round. Hopefully, our volunteers will allow for additional open hours.

Increased interest, visitation, and donations of artifacts, as well as an anonymous donation of $250, a check for $250 in honor of Lisbon’s 250th birthday from descendants of the Young family, our annual donation from New England Wire Technologies and other friends of the Society, and a grant from PSNH for $500 helped to continue the momentum. In December, we launched our first membership and fundraising campaign which proved to be very successful, and the Society has welcomed thirty new members as well as cash donations totaling $3,228. Our membership contact list now totals over sixty. Some on the list are not current, but we still include them in our email and mailing lists to keep them connected and hope they will join us again when their schedule permits.

The Society is also grateful for Jonathan Linowes' donation and generosity in updating and maintaining our website, www.lisbonareahistory.org. The Society now has a post office box, website, and email address, and with the properly-housed collection can serve the public in the best way possible at this point in the Society’s existence.

Personal Traces, Book One, which has been sold out for over a year, was reprinted in December. The goal for 2013 is to help celebrate Lisbon’s 250th birthday. In doing so, the Society will be publishing a commemorative pictorial book, Celebrating 250 Years, Lisbon, Lyman, and Landaff, New Hampshire. Lyman was chartered in 1761, Lisbon in 1763, and Landaff in 1764. Since we are an area historical society, all three towns will be included in the commemorative publication. Period photographs in the categories of church, school, stores, business, farm life, fire, flood, and storms, views, homes, and miscellaneous will be included with accompanying captions. The Society will work with Lisbon’s 250th Committee as it schedules year-long activities. Different organizations in town are being encouraged to incorporate the 250th theme in their regularly-scheduled activities. The Society’s commitment will be to promote Lisbon’s history, and tentative plans during 2013 include the pictorial history, developing a self- guided walking tour brochure, cemetery walk, providing poster-size period images for display for participating businesses and property owners, and public programs. Saturday, August 10, 2103 will be the actual all-day community celebration which will include games, music, Rev. War re-enactors, ice- cream social, pie contest, lunch, and community potluck dinner at the Lisbon Lions Community Field. Other events will take place in town on that day, including an Open House at the Society’s museum and an Open House at the Lisbon Historic Railroad Station and Museum.

Thank you to everyone who has helped in any way during our move from the library to the Parker Block, and thank you to those who continue to encourage the Society in any way, through volunteer labor, membership, cash donations, artifact donations, and visiting and/or expressing an interest in our ongoing mission to preserve and promote our local heritage.

Respectfully submitted,
Andrea M. Fitzgerald, President

Acquisitions Report for Year Ending 2012

  • Miscellaneous documents (215 of them) from the years 1798-1926 pertaining to Lisbon, Lyman and Landaff – Donated by Bennington Historical Society
  • Butson’s Dairy stamp case
  • H. T. Andross Groceries leather case with receipt pad
  • Postcards of Lisbon Opera House and bridge
  • 1944 Tax receipts for H. T. Andross
  • “Wanted” postcard from Littleton deputy sheriff to Lisbon Chief of Police
  • Lisbon Grain and Coal Co. payroll envelopes for Harry T. Andross
  • Photo of Lisbon Police Chief Harry T. Andross leading Memorial Day Parade
  • Esso Fix-It book, John’s Esso Station, Lisbon
  • 1940 Boy Scout Club photo
  • Lisbon Main Street photo
  • 1910 Lisbon firemen photo
  • Lisbon honor roll display photo
  • Lisbon bridge photo
  • 1940s war ration books for Harry T. Andross with case
  • 1936 Lisbon High School students photo
  • Aerial photo of Lisbon High School
  • Lisbon dedication monuments photo
  • 1934 Memorial Day photo
  • Calendar pad H. T. Andross Groceries
  • Scrapbook of newspaper clippings 1908-1937
  • Lisbon Methodist Church bathroom sign on cardboard
  • Celebratory service for Harry T. Andross June 2, 2010 – All donated by Agnes
  • Andross Memorial program for Marcia Snell June 2011
  • 5th Annual Lisbon Stump Jumpers Vintage Snowmobile Race 1/28/2012
  • Weeks Act Centennial Program at Bretton Woods 8/19/2012
  • Ammonoosuc Times article on Old Man of the Mountain 5/9/2003
  • Community Dance notice/Lisbon Regional School 4/12/1996
  • Northern NH history and heritage map and guide by Rick Russack and Dave Gowatski
  • DVD of abandoned NH towns (Rick Russack)
  • Lisbon town report 2011
  • DVD Parker Young newsletters (Rick Russack)
  • Dartmouth College in Landaff article
  • Bretton Woods and Crawford Notch lecture and tour 8/19/2011
  • Self-guided tour booklet of Mount Washington Hotel
  • NH Historic White Mountains brochure
  • American Moore Peg company 1920 photocopy
  • Richard Dodge diary annotated photocopy (Joe Nyberg)
  • Lyman town Forest Project 1/2010
  • Locke Family Corn Maze pencil
  • Lions Halloween contest pin
  • Lisbon Lilac Time pin (2)
  • Edward C. Brummer newspaper obituary – procured and/or donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • White lace long dress and pastel ruffled long sleeve dress – donated by Donna Northrop
  • Postcards of the Gorge of the Ammonoosuc, North Woodstock, Echo Lake, Flume Cascade, and Cannon Mountain – donated by Lorna Fogg
  • DVD of drawings by Lisbon architect Sylvanus D. Morgan – donated by Professor Tad Pfeffer, Colorado State University
  • Upstage Players posters – donated by Karl and Karen Herzig
    The Music Man 1993, Never Too Late 1992, The Wizard of Oz, Mame 1996, Guys and Dolls 1999, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying 1997, My Fair Lady 1995, Calamity Jane
  • c. 1980s railroad track lock from Lisbon tracks – donated by Richard Caron
    Sunset Hill House advertising photograph – donated by Sigmund and Anne Hudson
  • c. 1919 Lisbon High School baseball team photo – donated by Suzanne Placey
  • c. 1905 photograph of William Palmer and son in Lisbon Square – donated by William Palmer
  • Transcript of Young family history photocopy – donated by Doug Hulcher
  • Program celebrating the life of Richard Eaton 8/16/1012 – donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • Celebration of 100 Years of Service and Ministry and Brief History of the Lisbon
  • Church of the Epiphany – donated by Sigmund and Anne Hudson
  • Farm table and wooden fire bucket – donated by Linda Shulda
  • Original desk from 1891 Lisbon Public School – donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • Historical New Hampshire Vol. 66 w/article on NH painted theater curtains including Lyman curtain on loan to LAHS – donated by Bath Historical Society
  • c. 1764 Manuscript map of Landaff, NH drawn by David Young – donated ON LOAN by Eloise Young Belisle and Marion Young Viasner, presented by Judy and Allan Boulet
  • Framed photograph of Logging Pre-truck Days and ribbon and pin for Lisbon Outing Club winter carnival 1935/36 – donated by Linwood “Mutt” Veilleux
  • Framed memorial, Civil War record of Shepard Parker in original frame – donated by Alice and Fred Hunt
  • Glass measuring spoon from H. C. Marston Druggist, Lisbon and apothecary measure
  • c. 1924 Stock certificates in Ammonoosuc Confectionary issued to H. C. Pickwick – all donated by Curt Pickwick
  • Lisbon Public Library 75th Anniversary refrigerator magnet – donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • Leather postcard of Bank, Boynton and Parker Blocks – donated ON LOAN by Judy Boulet
  • Photographs of Mardin and Gould family
  • c. 1866 catalog of Lisbon Village Library
  • c. 1801 almanac
  • c. 1967 advertisement card New England Electrical Works
  • 1963 Town of Lisbon real estate assessments
  • 1974 Town of Lisbon real estate assessments
  • c. 1919 Lisbon High School commencement exercises program – all donated by Lorna Fogg Advertisement on cardboard for Woolson & Clough Insurance Agency – donated by Richard Caron Original and only set of architectural drawings signed on every page by Jay Barrett, architect for restoration of the Lisbon, N.H. train station – donated by Roger Robar
  • Playbill for Upstage Players “1776” presentation 10/19/2012 – donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • China cabinet – donated by David Miller in memory of his parents, David and Ramona Miller
  • Landaff Volunteer Fire Department beer glass – donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • Photo album including c. 1900 views of Lisbon, Bethlehem, and Tilton – donated by Pamela Kanaar
  • c. 1907 Ladies Circle of the Methodist Episcopal church of Lisbon Home Comfort
  • Cook Book – donated by Louise Smith
  • 2013 Woodsville Guaranty Savings Bank calendar
  • Article on 2.3M renovation of Lisbon Inn and portion of red ribbon from grand re-opening
  • Lisbon Main Street Biz News 12/2012
  • Lisbon Main Street Shop Lisbon pamphlet 12/15/2012
  • Lisbon Main Street holiday social invitation – all donated by Andrea M. Fitzgerald
  • The Echo yearbook, Lisbon High School, 1954, 1957, 1958, 1961 – donated by Barbara Hudson
  • The Echo yearbook, Lisbon High School 1936, 1935 – donated by Lois Champagne
  • 1877 Auditor’s report for Town of Lisbon – donated by George Paige
  • In Memory of Charles Parker booklet
  • Lisbon Auditor’s Report 1875
  • Lisbon Annual Report, School Dist. No. 1, 1904
  • Lisbon Annual Report, School Dist. No. 11, 1918
  • Annual Report, Grafton County Commissioners, 1917 – all donated by Byron Fairbrother
  • Three vintage signs from Grafton Street Lisbon Ski Tow – donated by Lisbon Lions Club

Respectfully submitted,
Dorothy Wiggins, Archivist

One of four signs, rope tow light, and pulley wheel from the Grafton Street Ski Tow, donated by Lisbon Lions Club

1800s wooden fire bucket from the
old Harry B. Sherman farm on Cole Plain, donated

by Linda Shulda

SIGNIFICANT GROWTH IN THE SOCIETY'S MEMBERSHIP!!!

We have 30 new members, most of whom have joined in response to our December mailing Welcome aboard! We encourage any current member who has not yet paid his or her 2013 dues and any non-member who would like to become a member of the Society at this time to send a check for the $5 annual dues to the Society at PO Box 6, Lisbon NH 03585.