The museum is now open on Fridays 1-3pm through October. The museum is also open at other
times by chance or appointment. Please contact us if you would like to visit or volunteer to staff
The Society is looking forward to helping Lisbon celebrate its 250th birthday throughout the year. We are represented on the 250th Celebration Committee which is working with Lisbon Main Street, Inc. and other organizations and individuals to plan a big 250th birthday party on Saturday, August 10, 2013 at the Lisbon Lions Community Field. The Society is sponsoring an overnight encampment of Benjamin Whitcomb’s Independent Corps of Rangers Revolutionary War re-enactors group. They will arrive at the Lisbon Lions Community Field on the evening of August 9, 2013 to set up camp and they will stay throughout Saturday’s celebration portraying authentic Continental Army Rangers. It is particularly poignant that the non-profit group is able to schedule this trip to Lisbon since Major Benjamin Whitcomb (1737-1828) settled in Lisbon after the War and became a prominent resident. The famous “dreaded scout” and spy is buried in Salmon Hole Cemetery in Lisbon. For more information go to http://whitcombsrangers.com/
Whitcomb’s Independent Corps of Rangers visited Benjamin Whitcomb’s grave at Lisbon’s Salmon Hole Cemetery in 2011 on July 2nd, Whitcomb’s birthday.
The August 10, 2013 day-long birthday party will also include the following events. (Watch for final schedule and times):
Friends in Council pie baking contest (community field) Old-fashioned games (community field)
Lunch available - Lisbon Lions Club and its famous grilled sausage (community field)
Ice cream social with Hatchland ice cream (community field)
Live music all day and into evening (community field)
Dinner available (community field)
Open House at Lisbon Area Historical Society Museum, 10am-3pm (Parker Block)
Open House at Lisbon Historic Railroad Station and Museum 10-3pm (25 Central Street - Get your free commemorative train whistle!)
U.S. Postal Service stamp cancellation/U.S. Post Office, North Main Street, Lisbon
Self-guided walking tour of Lisbon (get your free brochure!)
Celebrating 250 Years, A Pictorial History of Lisbon, Lyman, and Landaff, New Hampshire by Andrea M. Fitzgerald on behalf of the Lisbon Area Historical Society will be on sale
Souvenir 250th t-shirts will be on sale
250th commemorative pins (pictured below) will be on sale
And the pins are NOW on sale in Lisbon at the Woodsville Bank, the Town Hall, and The American Flag Store.
Other big news:
The Society has been providing images and information for businesses in Lisbon that want to order 2’ x 3’ poster boards (printed by Foto Factory) showing what used to be on their site. This is a joint project with Lisbon Main Street, Inc., and the 250th Celebration Committee.
The Society has provided images and text for a Self-Guided Walking Tour of Lisbon. This is a joint project with Lisbon Main Street, Inc., and the 250th Celebration Committee. The free brochure will be available soon.
The Society is now on Facebook. Skylar Boutin has set up a Facebook account for us and will be posting info there for us, too.
The Society purchased a new Toshiba laptop computer, Microsoft Office 2013, and an Epson copier/printer/scanner for the museum. Archivist Dorothy Wiggins has been creating an MS Access database from the antiquated Word document of our museum inventory.
The Society’s newest publication, Celebrating 250 Years, A Pictorial History of Lisbon, Lyman, and Landaff, New Hampshire will be available this summer. The commemorative book has 195 early images and information from the Society’s collection in the categories of churches, schools, mills and manufacturing, stores and other businesses, fires, floods, and storms, farms, homes, views, and miscellaneous. The Society was very fortunate to have received generous financial support for this book project from local businesses, organizations, and individuals as well as a grant from New Hampshire Electric Co-op.
Frank J. “Jay” Barrett, Jr., Hanover architect, historian and author is developing a special program for the Society: “Railroads, Grand Hotels, and the Automobile: An Epic Struggle” as part of the 250th celebration. The program will be in July or early August – stay tuned for date and time.
NH Public Radio will be visiting Lisbon in August as part of its year-long series on New Hampshire towns celebrating their 250th anniversaries.
We continue to receive wonderful donations to our growing museum. Some recent donations include:
An invaluable collection of meticulously captioned period photographs and items collected by Lisbon native George M. Goudie (1886-1975) donated by his grandson Dayton Goudie of Littleton.
A booklet for the 1890 Annual Musical Festival at the Lisbon Town Hall. This booklet is full of interesting advertisements. The festival was held at the c. 1860 town hall in Lisbon Square which burned in the November 3, 1901 fire which destroyed the business district on the west side of Main Street from the iron bridge to Brigham’s Hotel. (Goudie Collection)
Can you guess what this artifact is? (*See last page for answer.)
Lisbon Public School students c. 1885 taken at the old school at the corner of School and Grafton St. (Goudie collection)
A c. 1900 wooden barrel stamped Parker Young Mfg. donated by Shirley (Dodge) Peterson of Landaff.
A 12’ banner advertising Lisbon’s 250th donated by Roger Robar and Foto Factory.
Landaff Bicentennial Pageant program, one of many items pertaining to Landaff and Harry H. Hodge, on loan from his step-daughter Judy Boulet of Landaff.
A document dated October 1, 1898 appointing John F. Olin as Postmaster of Lyman, donated by his grandson Cleland Stephens of West Springfield, MA.
The Society provided images and information on one-room schoolhouses in Lisbon, Lyman, and Landaff for the Annual Grafton County Conservation District Meeting held at the Sunset Hill House in Sugar Hill in April. The guest speaker was Steve Taylor who spoke on Rural One-Room Schoolhouses. The following maps were also prepared and displayed to show the numerous one- room schools (designated with a red schoolhouse icon) in Lisbon, Lyman, and Landaff in 1860.
Our next meeting is Wednesday, May 15 at 6:30pm at the museum. Everyone is welcome. Please join in and help us preserve local history. There are many opportunities to volunteer for the Society by staffing the museum, helping prepare donations for cataloging, and scanning photographs, newspaper articles, and other items.
*Answer to question on page 3: It is a late 1800s steel gauge for measuring wooden shoe pegs. Lisbon once had three of the five shoe peg mills in the United States. This gauge came from one of the Moore Peg Mills in Lisbon. Pegs were made from yellow and white birch and resembled fat-tapered toothpicks and were used to fasten shoe uppers to soles. The wood shoe pegs made in Lisbon were shipped mainly to Germany. (Goudie Collection donated by Dayton Goudie)